Sorry. This expression plus this confession makes me chuckle.
So, I do get the appeal of Fenders. They’re both attractive, and Anders makes Fenris more compelling. However, I don’t see it working without making them OOC, and even then it would be a vicious, hateful relationship and a far cry from the tender love affair I see alluded to on the k!meme.
I mean, I’ve thought about it. I’ve argued it. I’ve been handed arguments for it and I always come back to a few things that I think are pretty much insurmountable barriers between them:
- Anders always loves Hawke.
- Anders, even before Justice, does not like people who believe mages should be imprisoned. Have you ever disagreed with him in Awakening? He’s not charmed by the dismissal.
- Fenris has no respect for Anders. Even if Hawke is a mage, Fenris has enough respect for Hawke as a person to help him overcome his ingrained distaste for mages. Fenris thinks as little of Anders as Anders thinks of himself.
- Fenris gives no signs of being impressed by Anders as a person. Isabela freeing slaves impresses him. Aveline seems to impress him. Anders is everything he fears in a mage- a powerful but unstable abomination working to free all mages without having the necessary understanding as to why that might be a bad or dangerous idea.
- They don’t want to understand each other. They’re in the same friend group, they see each other outside of battles and adventuring and all that, and that contact does nothing to diminish their dislike for one another.
- Fenris, when left to his own devices, is not looking for a project. He’s not someone who wants to help people sort themselves out. He’s not someone who wants help being sorted out. He has his issues, he works through them with distant support from Hawke, and then he levels out. He goes for low-drama people who have their personal shit together. People like Donnic and Act 3 Isabela. I think that says a lot about Fenris.
- Anders is very selectively compassionate. Even in Awakening, he would only help those he felt worthy of his help. If his own safety/freedom was in danger, say in the Fade, he was all about self-preservation. In DA2, he is so laser-focused on mages that disagreeing with him on that topic alone is enough to earn his ire and place you outside the sphere of his compassion.
- There is no there there. There is no subtext for attraction, the way there is with Fenris/Isabela or even Alistair/Leliana. There is, however, tons of context for strong dislike, including Anders supporting Fenris being returned to Danarius.
So…yeah. I mean, if you want it to be there you’ll see it. I’ve tried to see it, and I just don’t. Not in canon, not in fics that attempt to adhere to their personalities as established in DA2. And I get the feeling that if I do ever find a version of Fenders that works for me, it will be something harsh and painful and not “Anders falls in battle and Fenris cries over his body and then Anders ok and share a sweet embrace” or something like that.
Is it wrong that I couldn’t even pay attention to your well-written and wonderfully reasoned argument because of the horrid ableism in the confession picture? Just… wow. I know this fandom is often better than others…but that’s some horrid, hateful, hurtful bullshit right there.
The image is of Fenris with a black text box over his eyes that reads “Bragging about not getting Fenders is like bragging about being mentally deficient. Your ignorance and lack of imagination is your own damned problem.”
No. It’s NOT OK to use an oppressed class to make an argument like this. Sorry folks.
I don’t particularly understand how one can brag about not getting something… ._.
…Wait, did that count as bragging, as well?
Pf. Another “I’m better than you bitches” DA Confessions submission…
Also, NO. I can’t see Fenders working. No matter how many times you guys poke my eye with fanarts and fanfics all the fucking time. -3- Reasons? They have been listed ABOVE.